Thursday, June 21, 2012

Orgreenic Cookware



I am a sucker for infomercials. I'm often seduced by their too-good-to-be true claims. I've bought so many As Seen On TV items and 99% of them don't live up to their promises. (The only two that actually did were the Swivel Sweeper and the Nicer Dicer. I still love and use those two items frequently.)

So I should have known better when I saw the commercial for Orgreenic nonstick cookware. It claimed that this was the revolution in nonstick cooking, and that nothing would stick to it. No need for cooking oil, butter, or grease! The egg they cooked just slid around the pan like it was on ice. I must have watched the commercial half a dozen times. I almost ordered it, but talked myself out of it. My subconscious screamed at me, "Haven't you learned your lesson about ASOTV items? Don't even think about it!" So I actually listened to her for once.

Then one day at Price Chopper, I passed an aisle with a bunch of ASOTV items. The Orgreenic pan was there, and my subconscious was nowhere to be seen, so into the cart it went.

At home, I couldn't wait to try it out. The pan needed to be "seasoned" first, which meant I had to coat it in vegetable oil and heat it until it smoked, then let it cool and wipe it out. Simple enough. Did that, then tried an egg. I'm not sure what they did in the commercial to get the egg to slide around like it was on ice, but that's not what happened. It didn't really stick, but it wasn't "on ice" either.

Fast forward, after months of using this pan, I give it a B grade. It's not spectacular but it's still a nice, heavy-duty pan that we use daily. However, I'm old school and just can't grasp the idea of not using any cooking spray in a pan. I still use PAM with this pan and it does make it work better. I have used it without PAM, but food sticks more. It says to re-season the pan every 2 years, but it should say more like every month. Eh. It's okay. I do like how you can go from range to oven, although I've never tried it yet. I also like how the green stuff won't chip off like an normal aged nonstick pan. I hated seeing black flakes in my food and I'm sure it's not good for you!

So overall, it's a nice pan but nothing I've found so far will give you that miraculous "on ice" slide. If that's what you're expecting, don't bother getting this pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment