Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sabra Hummus & Pretzels To Go


While browsing the store one day for a quick and easy lunch at work, I came across this little container just peeking out between the cheese and butter in the dairy aisle. (Dairy? Okay.....) Anyway, despite the price tag of almost three bucks, I decided to give it a whirl. Pretzels with hummus. Sounds good since I love hummus and it's fairly good for you.

Back at the office, I tear into it. The plastic outerwrap was a bitch to get off but once you do, it releases two individual cups. One for the hummus, and one for the pretzels, each with its own tear-off foil top. First thing I noticed is most of the pretzels were broken. They are more like round pretzel "chips" which makes scooping the hummus easier, but not when they're broken! Second thing I noticed was they give you a ton of hummus! Each pretzel piece can get a generous scoop of hummus without fear of running out. I always have hummus left at the end, which I usually just eat with my finger. Either that or I pour in the remaining broken pretzel pieces and go at it with a spoon.

It's very good. My favorite is the Roasted Garlic flavor. There's also Classic and Roasted Red Pepper. I buy it quite often now.

My sister thinks anyone who eats hummus is a hippie. She was horrified when I told her I was eating this and said that I was eating "hippie armpit hair." However, I assure you, I am not a hippie and hummus is not made of hippie armpit hair. It's made of ground-up chickpeas. It's good for you. You can see by the label it has 0 grams cholesterol and 0 trans fat. The worst part is the pretzels, which aren't even that bad.

But uh oh. Weight watchers disagrees. When I was counting points on Weight Watchers, I thought this must be a decent snack and can't be that many points. I began counting up the fat, protein, fiber, and carbs that make up the points value. I almost died when I saw it added up to 10 points! Doesn't sound like a lot but when Weight Watchers only gives you 25 points to stick to, that is a big chunk. Technically, you could eat two and a half of these a day and you'd be at your points limit. What the heck?! Boo Weight Watchers, boo.

But overall I love these and they do make a yummy, healthy snack. And I haven't seen one armpit hair in it, at least not yet.....

No comments:

Post a Comment